Thursday, March 7, 2013

Is Your Net-Worth More Important Than Your Self-Worth



Is your net-worth more important to you
than your self-worth
Tim Connor

I was reflecting recently on the mindsets of several friends and acquaintances that seem to be willing to sacrifice their self-worth for the uncertainty of their net-worth.  Why would I say uncertainty in the previous sentence?

I don’t care how much money you have in the bank, CD’s, your retirement fund or any other equity in other sources – nothing in the future is ever totally secure which I’m sure some of you have already discovered.

A high net-worth is a worthy goal to work towards but I would question whether sacrificing your self-worth to achieve it.

What is self-worth?

I’m sure you have read at least one book or article that discusses the value of a healthy self-worth so I won’t go into great detail here but the essence of self-worth is you value yourself;

- more than your need for other’s value of you
- more than your possessions
- more than the fame or recognition you earn as a result of your
   achievements
- more than the approval of others

-Self-worth is recognizing and accepting that no matter what you do, accomplish, achieve or don’t that you are valuable for who you are and not what you do.

-Self-worth is accepting that if you fail you are not less worthy because of your failures but better for attempting something.

-Self-worth is believing in yourself and the potential you have regardless of your education, station in life, contacts and history.

-Self-worth is knowing that your opinion of yourself is always more important to you than the opinion of others.

-Self-worth is not arrogance or a huge ego but recognizing and accepting your shortcomings or weaknesses as part of being human.

-Self-worth is earned by living an integrity-based life and not achieved due to recognition from others.

-Self-worth is lasting and growing when you focus on the inside-out rather than outside-in.

-Self-worth isn’t diminished because you make mistakes or poor decisions.

-Self-worth is not the result of success but the forerunner to it.

-Self-worth gives you inner peace, contentment and calm that you are on the right path and all is well no matter what circumstances you are experiencing.

-Self-worth is the ability to look in the mirror and smile at who you are and who you are becoming.

-Self-worth doesn’t make excuses or apologize for its life circumstances, goals, values or outcomes.     

-Self-worth is always the motive or agenda for goals that reinforce your mission and life purpose.

-And self-worth is humility knowing that you are following Divine guidance into the rest of your life.

 I’m sure you could disagree with some or all of the above premises but I can tell you I have known many people who remained stuck in some area of their life for fear of other’s opinions, judgments or criticism.  I have known several people who care more about the opinions of others of them than their self-opinion.  And I have known a lot of people who refused to believe in themselves and their dreams and accepted the goals of other’s for them.

I don’t know how my life will turn out when I check out of here but my Tombstone will most likely say –(from one of my favo

No comments:

Post a Comment