Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's Complicated



It’s Complicated
Tim Connor

It’s complicated . . .  ever said that?  Heard it? Thought it?

I will bet that as you begin to read this that there is some area of your life that is complicated - that you wish would improve, change or disappear sooner rather than later.  I know I have a few . . .

While reflecting the past few weeks on all of the drama and challenges we all have faced or will face each year; economically, spiritually and in every life area, a thought occurred to me – that most of us tend to make everything in life more complicated than necessary.  Why?

I know – some of you might be thinking – “it is complicated and by saying this you belittle my situation.” My intent is not to attempt to know, understand or demean your personal, career or business circumstances and your choices or responses to them, but to ask you for just a moment - to consider – in the grand and long scheme of things – are you making them far more complicated than necessary and as a result more difficult to overcome, handle or maneuver through?

I have been guilty many times of this approach and I have to tell you each time I have, things tended to get worse rather than better – either emotionally, economically, mentally or physically.  Not complaining here - just don’t want you to think that I too don’t suffer from this stubborn attitude from time to time.

Complicated - composed of many interrelated parts or features – complex, intricate, convoluted, difficult, convoluted etc.  My definition – stuff that seems on the surface hard to handle, overcome deal with or solve.

Relationships can be complicated.  Career progress can be complicated. Health issues can be complicated.  Need I go on?  But are they really or do we tend to make them that way because of our; prejudices, opinions, emotional baggage, expectations, needs and/or wants, judgments, personal philosophy and/or history?

Over the years during my world travels as a speaker I can tell you that no one is immune, regardless of their religion, gender, age, political affiliation, race or location, to the negative consequences of letting life become more complicate than it was meant to be.

During the past year I read no fewer than 50 books on spiritual development and I have to tell you that a common message in all of these is the same - that the complications you and I face and how we handle them will one day be left behind as we pass from this life to the next.  The question I would like to ask you is simply – do you want to sacrifice the short life you have now with all its potential happiness, joy and peace focusing on what you feel is wrong or needs to change or improve?

Yes, many of life’s situations at first glance can appear difficult or complicated but if you will just step back for a moment and filter them through a ‘long term approach’ rather than the immediate future, I’ll bet you will see them or interpret them differently.  Death happens. Sickness happens. Relationships end.  Careers change. Economic circumstances can seem uncertain.  So, what’s new?  The choice each of us has is – can we view what’s happening now, regardless of how challenging, intricate or yes – complicated it may seem from a wider, broader or long term approach learning, growing, adjusting and changing and not blaming, condemning, whining or fearing!

I can tell you – After having spent many years travelling through life - that this is not always an easy task, but I can also tell you that if you want your days – how many you have left – and they do fly by – to be filled with an inner peace regardless of what you are facing, have faced or will face in the future ,it is important to not let simple things that may appear to be complicated to become even more so.

Things will always have the potential to be complicated.  The key is to not make them more so due to your agendas, need for control or your desire for an easier life.  God often sends us to the edge of the cliff hoping that we will learn life’s necessary lessons so we can move on with hope faith and service to others.  Think about it – ever gone over that cliff?  If you are still here, reading this, regardless of your circumstances He has saved you from that final step over the cliff into the unknown of the abyss.

And one final thought – for years I have preached to family, friends and now and then a few audiences that God never gives us stuff we can’t handle.  I have been wrong.  He always gives us stuff we can’t handle, but He never gives us stuff He can’t handle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment