Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Are you waiting or living?



You can’t imagine how much time(life) the average person wastes – waiting for – something – anything.  The right career, relationship, job, vacation or for life to give them what they want or they think they deserve.  I know I have been guilty and I preach this stuff.  So, why do we waste life – waiting?

Since I know you have something else to do, someplace to go or something you are waiting for I will be as brief as possible.

Waiting - the action of staying where one is or delaying action until a particular time or until something else happens. Guilty?

Living -way of life, lifestyle, way of living, life, conduct, behavior, activities. Helpful?

OK, so let me see if I can distinguish between the two and the advantages and/or disadvantages.

Life is short and speeds by in a flash.  One day you are graduating from high school and in the blink of an eye you are in your 40’s or 50’s or older.  We are all going to die and none of us knows when so why do we waste valuable time waiting for something better, newer or sooner?

Living is an adventure and each day can be lived with passion, purpose and a sense of joy or we can live each day wondering, fretting, worrying or regretting.  Think about it – I’ll bet for you the time has flown by leaving you asking yourself why – why you waited, why you wait or what you have missed as you waited or even – where has all the time gone?  Living is not about yesterday or tomorrow it is about making the best of every year, every day or even every minute you are given, not squandering time.

Yes, I know that some things take time but in the process do you stay in a limbo state waiting or live with gusto while you wait?

Disappointment is a natural part of life as are many other emotional states but in the end spending too much time in disappointment just wastes time and life.

Let me ask you have you ever spent time waiting? For something or anything that you couldn’t control?  If your answer is no – I’ll bet you are in a serious state of denial.

Again yes, I know that we all need to be patient as we wait for circumstances, careers or relationships to play out their normal series of events but the real question is – if you wait and it doesn’t happen the way you planned, hoped or desired was the waiting worthwhile?

Over the years I have developed a simple philosophy while I wait for life to give me what I want, hope for or desire.  I will be excited if it happens and I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t. This simple approach does several things for me.

One - it keeps my focus on now and not yesterday, tomorrow or what’s next.  Two - It helps me let go of control of what I can’t control.  Three – It reduces the disappointment and regret in my life. And four – it helps me realize how life happens in spite of my dreams, wishes or expectations.

Works for me.  How about you – have a philosophy to handle waiting or is waiting in control of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment