Saturday, June 15, 2019

Is there a single word that describes you . . .


What’s the one word . . .
Tim Connor

Have you ever considered what one single word describes you – your values, beliefs, choices, decisions, actions, behaviors, attitudes, etc.?

Let me explain.

Regardless of whether it’s relatives, friends, customers, employees or even total strangers where you had a short but meaningful interaction – if asked – what’s one word they would use to describe you, what would it be?

Yes, I know this might sound silly and even impossible but work with me for just a few minutes.  Tim, how can we limit our entire life with all its experience, lessons, interactions, etc. to just one word – that’s impossible. OK, so what if I said you could have two words or a complete sentence or even an entire paragraph – any easier???  I’m guessing no and why?

I just can’t do it you say, summarize my entire life with all its years of experience into a few words.  OK, I agree, but just for a minute try it, what word would you most want others in your life (everyone) use to define or describe you; fun, arrogant, playful, serious, dedicated, self-centered, honest, stupid, caring, egotistical – I could go on with a couple of hundred thousand words but I’m sure you get my point with just a few.

So, here’s the test – I want you to create a list of 12 words that you feel in your opinion overall best describes you – write them down. 

Now I want you to ask many or most of the people in you’re a simple question – “What one word would you use to describe me and/or my life. You don’t have all day so what one word comes to mind quickly that you feel is a representation of me and my lifestyle.”

Write them down.

Now I’m sure you have figured out the next step – right?  No, OK, how many of the words you wrote down were used by others?  AND – was there one or two that were most dominant either that wasn’t on your list or were?

Tim, what is the point of this entire exercise?  I have a lot on my plate.
Simple – is who you think you are what or who others (some, many or all) think you are and if not – why not?

Try it – it might be fun but I’m sure it will be enlightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment