Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Waiting, Wishing, Hoping!



Waiting for something to come into your life; good or bad?  We all wait sooner or later for something and I’m not referring here for the traffic to lighten up or for a call from the lottery that you just won a million bucks.

Waiting takes patience, something that few people have today.  We want what we want and we want it now – good luck.

Waiting takes trust, the ability to trust life, yourself and God that the right things will show up when the time is right not when you want them to show up.

Waiting takes courage, the ability to believe that you can handle whatever crosses your life path today, tomorrow or next year.

Waiting takes faith, the ability to believe even when you don’t have evidence or can control circumstances.

How are you doing so far?  Fall short in any of the above?  Need to do some inner work to improve your ability to wait with grace, joy and confidence?

Waiting. . . I know I have waited for; return phone calls, yes responses, appreciation form someone, courtesy from others and just life’s many simple gifts but in the end much of my waiting was in vain as what I wanted and waited for often eluded me.  Ever had that experience?  Come on don’t tell me that your life always proceeds with your wants, desires, needs and dreams showing up every time you just snap your fingers.

You’ve heard it, we’ve all heard it – hope is not a strategy, no it isn’t but it is, in my opinion, the best way to approach each day.  By this I’m not suggesting that you sit in a lounge chair hoping.  Yes, you have to work, take action and have persistence but in the end there is no guarantee that all of this will produce what you hope for.  But I don’t believe this is a reason not to always have hope in your heart for what you desire.

Now we come to wishing.  This is a lot different in my opinion than hoping.  I wish I could win the lottery, live to a ripe old age healthy and vibrant and never have any more adversity in my life.  Time to get real here – no one in this life escapes some form of trials, tribulations or adversity.  The question is are you spending your days – waiting (and doing what you can), hoping or wishing?

Don’t know about you but I think all three have value.  You can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket.  You can’t achieve success if you don’t learn, grow and put forth the required effort and you can’t just hope things will turn out the way you want them to if that is your only approach.

So, have fun waiting, wishing and hoping – I am.

“We must accept finite disappointment, but never
lose infinite hope.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment