Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Never Syndrome - Guilty???


The never syndrome.

When is never?  I will bet that you have said that at least once in your life and it wasn’t true when you said it as you discovered at some later time in your life.

Why do people feel the need to say, “I will never  (whatever).”  How about a list.  I love lists, they are easy to read and relate to or disagree with depending on your perspective on any given day.( Those of you who have read my latest book, Emerging From Life’s Valleys with Confidence, Patience, Courage and Faith will relate to this, those of you who haven’t read it are missing a great book, seriously, it’s really good.)

People say ‘I will never’ because:

1. They don’t know when never is, so they are safe.

2. It is a habit.

3. It makes them look good, strong, wise or yes, even stupid.

4. They really don’t mean it, they just are setting you up.

5. They really believe that they will never . . .

6. They don’t know what never means.

7. They know you will forget they said it.

8. It sounds good.

Never, means never. 

Not later, once in a while, if conditions change, if I change my mind, if something happens.  Don’t set yourself up.  It is sort of like saying to someone, “I will try.”  When someone says that to you they are setting you up for failure.  Because when they don’t come through, they can always say, “I tried.” 

No one knows what the future holds.  No one can predict how the roll of the dice can change a life. In an instant our entire future can be changed because of some unexpected failure or achievement.  So, learn to embrace the unexpected and release the expected.

There are eight ways we can express this never attitude:

-It will never.

It can never.

-I will never.

-I can never.

-You will never.

-You can never.

-They will never.

-They can never.

Don’t be guilty of assuming someone else will or can never and don’t’ short change yourself and your future by allowing the “never” syndrome into your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment